– First prize Scottish Portrait Award for Fine Art, £5,000
– First prize Richard Coward Scottish Portrait Award for Photography, £2,000
– The works of up to 60 finalists (30 fine artists and 30 photographers) will appear in the Scottish Portrait Awards Catalogue and Exhibition to be held in November 2017, at the Scottish Arts Club in Edinburgh
– A portrait commission worth £3,000 will be awarded to a fine art finalist by the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS)
– Winners of both SPA awards will receive free membership of the Scottish Arts Club, Edinburgh for two years.
– The winner of the Richard Coward SPA in Photography will be announced at the opening of the Scottish Portrait Awards Photography exhibition on Friday 3 November 2017.
– The winner of the SPA Fine Art will be announced at the opening of the Scottish Portrait Awards Photography exhibition on Saturday 4 November 2017.
The Scottish Portrait Awards Exhibition
The Scottish Portrait Awards Exhibition at the Scottish Arts Club in Edinburgh will be open to the public from 11am to 5pm from Tuesday 7 November to Thursday 30 November 2017.
Up to 30 fine art submissions and 30 photographic submissions will be awarded a place in the SPA Exhibition. Short descriptions of the work included in the entry form may be used in the exhibition and the related catalogue. Artists whose work is accepted for exhibition may also be invited to submit a short (two – five minute) video about their work. Artists who create such videos should not share these on social or other media before the exhibition opens in November 2017. Artists whose work(s) have been selected for exhibition will be notified by email by Monday 18 September 2017.
All artists selected for the exhibition will receive one free ticket to the SPA party. The cost of travel and accommodation for this event will be the responsibility of the artist.
Preparing to enter the Scottish Portrait Awards
Artists may choose to enter either or both of the fine art and the photography competitions. Each artist may enter no more than six entries in each of the competitions. An entry fee per artwork of £10 is payable to the Scottish Arts Club Charitable Trust. All proceeds are used to support the Scottish Portrait Awards.
All works entered for the competition should be the artist’s own work and must be portraits, although the concept of ‘portrait’ may be interpreted in the widest possible sense. The subject may involve one or more people and self-
Entries for the Scottish Portrait Award in Fine Art may be in any medium and in 2D or 3D formats. Entries for the Richard Coward Scottish Portrait Award in Photography must be in black and white. Size limits and other conditions apply for both awards so please read carefully the page on how to enter the awards and the terms and conditions.
Tips for entering the Scottish Portrait Awards
Read the page on how to enter the Awards
Read the terms and conditions
Read the advice on how to photograph your artwork
Read about portrait videos